Finally, (we've been waiting a long time for this ever since we first heard about it last year), FAB Press have announced that their Book of the Dead, the complete history of zombie cinema is almost ready to start shipping at the end of this month.
Book of the Dead (by well-respected horror journo Jamie Russell) charts the ghoulish history of zombie cinema, from the creature's origins in Haitian voodoo to its cinematic debut in 1932's White Zombie. Also heavily featured are George A. Romero's original trilogy of 'Dead' movies and recent blockbuster hits such as 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead and Romero's Land of the Dead.
Along the way, Book of the Dead also looks at Bela Lugosi B-movies, Italian gore films, Asian zombies, British zombies, blind monk zombies, shot-on-video backyard epics and the videogame phenomenon of Resident Evil.
Spanning seven decades of horror movie history with hundreds of stills - including an incredible 64 pages of blood-drenched full colour photos and rare international poster art - and an exhaustive filmography, Book of the Dead explains why we continue to be so fascinated by these fugitives from the undertaker.
Running to a thumping great total of 320 pages - which include over 200 b+w images and 130 amazing colour illustrations - the first pressing of this book is due in stock very soon!
All pre-ordered books will be sent out as soon as the books are delivered from the printers. To order your copy, or to simply read more about it, visit the FAB Press website and click the Book of the Dead link on the home page.
Shop price will be £19.99, but if you order through the FAB Press website, you will get a further £6 off the RRP price.
Book of the Dead Contents:
Introduction. Dead Men Walking
Chapter One. Caribbean Terrors
* Tracking the Walking Dead
* The Origins of the Zombie
* The Zombie in the West
Chapter Two. The Zombie Goes to Hollywood
* Horror Hits the Stage
* Cultural Anxieties: Haiti, the Depression and Race
* The Zombies Are Revolting
Chapter Three. Down and Out on Poverty Row
* Horror Comedy on Black Island
* The Poverty Row Years
* Val Lewton: A Touch of Class
Chapter Four. Atomic Interlude
* Sci-Fi Horrors
* Voodoo's Last Gasps
* The Mass Destruction of Men's Minds
Chapter Five. Bringing It All Back Home
* Keeping It in the Family
* Stiff Upper Lips and the Walking Dead
* South of the Border
* Back on American Soil: Night of the Living Dead
Chapter Six. Dawn of the Dead
* Romero's Children
* The Ghouls Can't Help It
* Destructive Tendencies
* Sex, Death and Amando de Ossorio's Templars
* By the Dawn's Early Light
Chapter Seven. Splatter Horror
* The Italians Are Coming!
* The Apocalypse of Narrative: Fulci's Zombie Trilogy
* The Return to the Caribbean
* Splatter House of Horrors
Chapter Eight. Twilight of the Dead
* Night of the Living Dead Redux
* Poverty Row for the MTV Generation (Or, Children Shouldn't Play with Camcorders)
* Of Death, Of Love: An Interlude
* The Resident Evil Effect
* Big-Budget Ghouls
* Rebirth of the Dead
Afterword. Something To Do With Death
Chapter Nine. Zombie Filmography
* A comprehensive 80-page A-Z guide to every significant zombie movie ever made.